MESSAGE REGARDING COVID-19
Visit the Government of Canada website for more information about COVID-19 .
Food Handler Training Examination
For the food processing industry
The Examination is based on the manual Food Handler Training for the food processing industry developed by the Meat & Poultry Ontario (MPO). There are two levels of Examination: Worker Level or Supervisor Level.
Why should I take this Examination?
Every food handler plays a critical role in food safety. Successfully completing this Examination provides assurance to employers, inspection authorities and customers that you understand your food safety responsibilities and how to control food safety hazards.
The Examination has two levels:
- FHTC Worker Level Exam
- FHTC Supervisor Level Exam.
When you register for the examination, you will need to indicate which level you wish to register for.
The supervisor examination includes all the questions for the worker level as well as additional questions related to a supervisor’s role in food safety.
Who needs to take this Examination?
All food plant workers and supervisors need to know about food safety. In some food processing sectors, there are specific regulatory requirements for food safety training, particularly in meat plants. Successful completion of this Examination demonstrates that you have met these requirements.
All other food processing sectors also need trained workers and supervisors, so the manual and the examination have been designed to meet the needs of all sectors. Anyone who handles and prepares food for others to consume will benefit from learning the material in the Food Handler Training for the food processing industry manual and writing the Examination.
Register for Exam
OnlineSelect an exam date from this list of dates above.
Print the application form.
Food Handler Training Exam
c/o University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus
120 Main St. East
Ridgetown ON N0P 2C0
Print the application form.
519-674-1560 (If paying with Visa or Mastercard)
Frequently asked Questions
- Register on-line
- Download the registration form, print a copy and mail or fax it to us with payment
- Call us at 1-855-648-1555 and register over the phone if you are paying by Visa or MasterCard
Exams may be cancelled due to lack of registration. We need to decide one or two weeks prior to an exam date whether an exam will run or not. Please register for exams early to avoid disappointment.
- We will send you a "Notice of Exam" either by mail or email to confirm your exam date, time and location. If you do not receive this letter at least one week before the exam date you selected, please call 1-855-648-1555 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check the information on the "Notice of Exam" carefully. Make sure that your personal information on the Notice is correct. If there is an error, please call 1-855-648-1555 or email: email@example.com
- If you register on-line, your receipt will be emailed to you after it has been processed
- If you register by phone, fax or mail, you will receive a receipt in the mail after your payment has been processed
- You can reschedule your exam ONCE to another exam date provided you give proper notification
- You must phone, fax or email our office at least 48 hours prior to your exam date if you cannot attend your exam date and need to reschedule
- If you do not notify us you will forfeit your exam application and exam fee and you will need to reapply as a new applicant
- This manual is available to purchase from the Meat & Poultry Ontario (MPO)
- Download the manual order form, print a copy and mail or fax it to MPO with payment
- Call MPO at 1-800-263-3797 or 519-763-4558 if paying by credit card
You do not have to purchase a manual to register for an exam. However, this manual will provide valuable knowledge to prepare workers and supervisors for the Food Handler Training Exam.